Thursday 30 August 2012

Covering a vase with esparto grass

Yesterday, I made a plait from Esparto grass and today decided to cover an old vase with it so we could actually use it!
Here is the old vase...

And this is the string to sew the braids together

This is the the bundle of esparto grass I bought in the hardware shop...I bet there are not many 'foreigners'  asking for it 

this is a view of the esparto grass braid which has been trimmed already

The very very sharp needles used to sew the braids together...

Beginning to sew the coil for the base of the vase

sewing the braid aroung the base

and sewing a bit more...
I think this may take a while to do as I need to try and shape it as I go, although I have seen glass 'flagons' covered with esparto too !!

No comments:

Post a Comment