Tuesday 25 September 2012

Back to the patchwork...

Saturday proved to be a busy day, as I was representing both Intercambio and the Intercultural knitting/crochet club at the second leisure fair here in Competa.
The event began at ten o'clock and lasted until 2pm, showcasing many of the leisure activities to be found here in the village.
I eventually had a clearout of my little craft room, sorting through the wool, material, crochet cotton, and art materials to name just a few things.... I reminded myself that the Kaffe Fasset patchwork book I bought in Sitges was still sitting on the bookshelf, so I had a first attempt at paper piecing a 'pickle dish' block.
This involved tracing the pattern onto greasproof paper (my cheap alternative to proper patchwork paper)
and sewing strips of fabric onto the paper
Here are a couple of my first attempts
This first attempt was not too good as I did not iron as I went, this has caused the bottom of the piece to be uneven

My second attempt was a bit better.. but unfortunately I should have noticed that The top of the pattern paper was not covered by the material :( I don't know if I will be able to use this one now

Practise makes perfect... my third go was much improved, and turned out much better than the previous ones.
However, the placement of the right hand side stripy material is actually upside down.
More practice is needed I think ... I quite enjoy the technique though.

I gather that the idea is to have these sections so that they alternate the final pieces with dark and light fabric.
The idea in my head is to make these with scrappy bits and make the background plain red.

No comments:

Post a Comment