Thursday 4 October 2012

Intercambio and village nicknames.

Like every Wednesday, we had an intercambio meeting last night. They are always good fun and a great way for us foreigners to practice our Spanish and for the Spanish to practice their English too.
I happened to mention that my friend Maria's dog had fallen from the balcony (it is ok)!
and someone said 'Oh you mean Maria rubio' (the rubio means blonde)
I did not realise that nearly everyone in the village has a nickname....
I gather this is to tell everyone who has the same name apart from the others.
One of the Spanish ladies for instance is commonly known as 'Dolores canella'
(the canella bit means cinnamon) but she has no idea why everyone calls her this except to say that this nickname was originally her grandfather's...
I believe that my nickname is 'Anna la extranjera espanola' which means Anna the Spanish Foreigner, so that everyone knows who I am among all the Spanish Anna's.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment